Home news Southampton v Watford

Southampton v Watford

36
0

TEAM NEWSSouthampton have no new injury worries and defender Virgil van Dijk could play for the first time this season after failing to secure a summer move away.Watford should be boosted by the return of defenders Younes Kaboul and Daryl Janmaat from injury.Jose Holebas is available after suspension but Miguel Britos is banned after his red card against Brighton.

Roberto Pereyra will face a fitness test, and Sebastian Prodl is also a doubt because of a hamstring strain.MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTESJohn Roder: “Southampton and Watford come into this fixture with identical starts of one win and two draws apiece.”Will Virgil van Dijk return to the Southampton defence or might fellow Dutch international Wesley Hoedt make his debut? However, it’s in attack where Saints haven’t convinced, failing to score in two of their three league matches.”In contrast, Richarlison is an exciting forward who I saw score in Watford’s win at Bournemouth, and Peru international Andre Carrillo could make his first start, having previously played under Marco Silva at Sporting.”Both teams have kept two clean sheets so far, meaning a repeat of March’s seven-goal thriller at Vicarage Road may not be on the cards – we can hope though!”Twitter: @johnrodercommWHAT THE MANAGERS SAYSouthampton manager Manuel Pellegrino: “Watford are a really intelligent team, with a good reading of all the different moments.”They have dangerous players in attack and big players on the set plays, with really quick players on the counter, so we need to be there 100% to have our chances, but I think we will compete.”If we can put the ball on the floor and keep possession then I think we will have our chance.”Watford head coach Marco Silva: “Now the market is closed, I don’t want to talk much about it, but the last week was not the best for us.”It’s different than what we tried to do, but different things happen. What we planned for last week and achieved is different. You want the best things and you can’t achieve that in the last week.”That’s not the best thing for me or Watford, but that’s life. I expected something different, it’s true.”LAWRO’S PREDICTIONI fancy Southampton here. They got back among the goals at St Mary’s in their previous home league game against West Ham, after a run of five games without scoring there at the end of last season.Prediction: 2-0Lawro’s full predictions v BBC NFL Show analysts Osi Umenyiora and Jason Bell.Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.MATCH FACTSHead-to-headSouthampton are unbeaten in their last seven league meetings with Watford (W4, L3).The Hornets’ last victory against Southampton was 3-0 in the Championship at St. Mary’s in 2008.SouthamptonSouthampton have failed to score in eight of their last 11 Premier League matches, including two games this season.Saints manager Mauricio Pellegrino played in Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Watford in the 2005 League Cup semi-final second leg.Nathan Redmond has registered four goals and one assist in his last three Premier League games against Watford.Fraser Forster has kept 35 Premier League clean sheets since the start of the 2014-15 season, more than any other English goalkeeper.WatfordWatford could remain unbeaten in their opening four games of a top-flight season for the first time.The Hornets are vying to win their opening two away league games for the first time since 1998.Marco Silva last won back-to-back away league games in April 2016, while coach of Olympiakos.Follow Match of the Day on Instagram for the best photos from the world of football.SAM’s verdictMost probable score: 1-0Probability of draw: 24%Probability of home win: 58%Probability of away win: 18%SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Liverpool and is used to predict the outcome of football matches.
Source: BBC Bucks